Saturday, September 17, 2011

Stop. Look. Listen.


I'm the facilitator of an Afternoon Book Club at the library, and every month we read a different book. I say "read," but we always have a couple members who prefer to listen to their book.

So I get them audiobooks, and that way they can listen in the car or at home while doing something else.

Now for me, listening to audiobooks is just asking for trouble. My attention span while listening to a book is about seventeen seconds. Before I realize it, I have wandered away from the room where I have the CD player on. Or I'm driving with an audiobook playing and notice that I haven't heard the last three chapters.

Whoops.

To each his own, I say! If you can listen to your book, good for you. The Lackawanna County Library System has hundreds of circulating audiobooks, along with more online! On the same site where you can find eBooks to download, you can also find audiobooks. Click here to find books to put on your MP3 player.

Books are adventures, and however you choose to experience that adventure is up to you. It's nice to have options, isn't it?

Here are three downloadable audiobooks to try, available on our website:

-Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
-7 Steps to Fearless Speaking by Lilyan Wilder
-The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Laura, on behalf of the ACL

No comments:

Post a Comment