Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Happy Birthday!

Today, celebrate the birthdays of two of my favorite authors growing up: C. S. Lewis and Louisa May Alcott!

Though these authors were quite different, their children's books have been well loved for years.



Lewis's series of fantasy novels for children, The Chronicles of Narnia, have been his most popular books. They have been made into movies, and and are enjoyed by children all over the world.

I remember getting lost in the world of Narnia when I was little, and dreaming of the day when I, too, would discover a magical land in the back of my wardrobe. This never happened, but I never stopped loving the books! The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the series, is my favorite. It's a story of friendship and betrayal, love and perserverance. Good versus evil!



Louisa May Alcott was asked to write a book for girls, and what followed was the classic novel, Little Women. A story of four sisters, this book was so well received that Alcott had to keep writing! Girls everywhere loved (and continue to love!) the characters of willful Jo, beautiful Meg, compassionate Beth and prideful Amy.

Little Women will always remain my favorite of Alcott's novels, but I also enjoyed Eight Cousins, Little Men, and Jo's Boys. They're timeless!

Check out books by C.S. Lewis and Louisa May Alcott in your local public library. And also find the movies made from them!

Happy reading,
Laura
On behalf of the ACL

No comments:

Post a Comment