Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, Harry!

Well, he was born as Harry Lillis Crosby, but we know him as Bing Crosby! He was born on this day, May 3, in 1903. He started out singing, then become a movie star. His mellow singing style made him one of the most successful entertainers of his day.



When I think of Bing Crosby, I think of White Christmas. His version of the song calls to mind a nostalgic Christmas, and always makes me happy. And the movie White Christmas is on my list of top 5 Christmas movies. There's nothing like an old musical! His voice is so relaxing and soothing; I just love to hear it.

We have several Bing Crosby movies, CDs, and books in the Lackawanna Library System; check out a few the next time you're in:

DVDs:
Going My Way
High Society
Holiday Inn
Robin and the 7 Hoods
White Christmas

CDs:
Bing's Gold Records
Bing Crosby's Greatest Hits
Christmas Jump & Jive: Songs That Won the War
It's Christmas Time

Books:
Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams by Gary Giddins
Bing Crosby: The Hollow Man by Donald Shepherd

Laura
On behalf of the ACL

No comments:

Post a Comment