Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Author Spotlight: Alan Bradley

The first time I read about Flavia de Luce, it was for the Afternoon Book Club.

I facilitate this book club, (which meets the third Wednesday every month and is super fun, by the way!) and last December we read The Sweetness of the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.



I. loved. it.

The writing was so fresh and witty, I was drawn right in. The mystery is told from the perspective of Flavia de Luce, an eleven-year-old aspiring chemist living in a small English village in the 1950s. She's spunky, independent, and happens to have the unlucky talent of running across dead bodies.

After reading this first book in the series, I quickly put the second book on hold at the library: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag.



Then, when the third one was published, A Red Herring Without Mustard, I was first in line to read it!



I thoroughly enjoyed each one. And aren't the covers beautiful? I definitely judge books by their covers, and these ones are so vivid they just pop right off the shelf at you.

When we discussed the first book, several members of the club said they thought parts of the book were too predictable. (I am usually blissfully unaware of a mystery's ending right up until the big reveal.) If you're a hard-core mystery reader who likes a real challenge, these may not be for you. If you're in the mood for a fun mystery with a delightful character, though, check these out!

And...put Alan Bradley's next book in the series on hold today! It's coming out November 1.



Click here to visit Alan Bradley's website, for more on him and his books.

Laura
On behalf of the ACL

No comments:

Post a Comment