Thursday, March 29, 2012

Unplug It!


Well, we missed the official day, but last Friday at sundown marked the beginning of the National Day of Unplugging. All over the world, people signed pledges online (ironic, no?) and committed to a day without texting, Facebook, Xbox, iPad...all of it!

Not a bad idea, if you think about it. How much of your day is consumed with online activities? How many people do you interact with on the Internet compared with face-to-face? Personally, I know I spend too much time parked in front of the tv or computer. It's a good idea to regularly take breaks from your technology. You might find you don't need it as much as you think.

When I have computer problems and can't get online, it's rough. I wonder what I'm missing on Facebook, I get behind on tv shows, and I feel lost without my dependable technology. But not too long ago when I couldn't get my Internet to work for almost a full week, I found other things I could do instead.

I took walks in the sunshine, I talked with my friend on the phone instead of online. I got out of the house and I caught up on my reading. And I realized that I needed to unplug myself more often!

Spring is coming...don't spend it indoors or with your eyes glued to a screen. Spend time with the people you love, and get out and DO life!

Oh, and check out these books for some ideas:

The Golden Book of Family Fun by Margaret Brown

Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation by Ann Droyd

The Winter of Our Disconnect: How Three Totally Wired Teenagers (and a Mother Who Slept with Her iPhone) Pulled the Plug on Their Technology and Lived to Tell the Tale by Susan Maushart

The Family Dinner: Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time by Laurie David

Ready, Set, Play!: Parents and Children Bonding Through Sports by Mark Schlereth

You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto by Jaron Lanier

Laura
On behalf of the ACL

No comments:

Post a Comment