Tuesday, April 9, 2013

From Our Director: The Library Changed My Life

In 1992, something happened in this building that changed my life forever. I was leaving a Friends of the Abington Community Library Spring Book Sale (back in the day when the book sale still fit in the Ryon Room!) with an armload of books and providentially invited to join the organization by Friends member Geri Rodgers. This relationship with the Library began to change my life as I became active, serving on the Friends Board as Treasurer and Book Sale Chairman. My family was already avid library supporters, particularly in the initiative to build this building.

When my youngest child was in fifth grade, I decided to go back to work, and found myself in a part-time job at … this Library! What was originally ‘something to do while the kids were in school,’ became my passion as our Director, Mary Tuthill, gave me more and more responsibility.

In 2001 a unique opportunity presented itself for me to obtain a Master’s Degree in Library Science from the University of Pittsburgh. I was one of the first participants in an online, asynchronous learning ALA-accredited program designed to meet the needs of motivated, independent learners living too far away from campus for a traditional program. With the total support and encouragement of Mary, my husband, and children, I returned to my alma mater after nearly thirty years! This was particularly challenging as I was still working part-time, holding down numerous community volunteer and board positions, and had children still at home. However, everyone else in my Master’s program was just as busy if not more so and I found comfort in that.

Soon after obtaining my degree in 2003, I was asked by Mary Tuthill to work full-time. Within the year, she announced her retirement. I never imagined applying for her job, but was encouraged to do so, and a year after obtaining my degree, six years from starting a ‘little part-time job,’ and fifteen years after joining the Friends, I was now the Director of the Abington Community Library.

How did the Library change my life? I feel I have grown along with the Library and the System. I've changed from a stay-at-home mom to the director of the second largest library in Lackawanna County, embracing changes primarily due to new technology, but also due to its mission. I have seen formats change as traditional print has gone into large print, talking books, E-Books, and MP3 formats. And, I have seen libraries change from a place where librarians ‘shushed’ people to exciting places filled with people of all ages involved in research, recreational reading, and remarkable programming.

I am proud to be part and parcel of this change. I am excited about the future and direction libraries are taking. I am grateful of the opportunity to be a leader in our community, and strive, along with my wonderful ‘team’ (staff, boards, Friends, and volunteers) to provide the best in material and programming for our patrons and community.

I’ll close with a question and invitation. Are you a member of the Friends of the Abington Community Library? If not, let me invite you to become one at our upcoming Book Sale. It could change your life, too!

NOTE: This year’s Spring Book Sale will be held on Saturday, April 13 from 9AM-2PM at the Clarks Summit United Methodist Church.

Leah Ducato Rudolph
Director of the Abington Community Library


1 comment: